The Congregation of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd was founded in France in 1835 by St. Mary Euphrasia. She was born on 31st July 1796 in France. She was gifted with a deep love for humanity and revered each person in her/his uniqueness. The socially marginalised young girls and women of her time found in her a loving mother and teacher. By the time of her death on 24th April 1868, she had founded 110 Convents in 68 countries, including one in India in 1854. The Good Shepherd School in Chennai was started in 1925.
Education according to St. Mary Euphrasia should develop to the fullest all that is best in the human personality psychologically, physically, intellectually, socially, aesthetically and spiritually. We, the sisters of the Good Shepherd continue to make the ideal of our Foundress a living reality in our worldwide mission of education and re-education, both formal and non-formal in diverse cultures. Her favourite maxim was that we should form strong characters of high principles grounded in truth. Her comments on various aspects in this connection are worthy of earnest reflection.